The Biggest Secret I've Ever Kept

Sunday, January 28, 2018

Since 90% of you made it to this page by clicking on a link from one of my social media platforms, you already know...

Chris and I are expecting a baby girl in June! 

I am starting this Pregnancy Series as a way to track my pregnancy (like a journal of sorts), to inform other mommas and future mommas of a "fit pregnancy", as well as talk a little bit about my birth choices. If you have anything you want to know more about, please don't hesitate to ask! Someone else is probably wondering the same thing :) 

Okay, on to pregnancy things. 

Why I waited so long to share:
I honestly thought it would be much harder to keep our pregnancy a secret as long as we did. We made the decision to wait until we knew the gender to announce to the "world" almost right away, which ended up being 19 weeks. I wanted to keep those special weeks between Chris and I, and our families.
Another (big) reason why I decided to wait, is because I have seen many women announce "too early" (whatever that may be) and end up losing the baby and having to share this sad, personal, news with all of social media. Pregnancy is very personal...and in my opinion it should be treated that way through and through. Miscarriage isn't talked about much unless you are looking in the right places (specific blogs and forums). And why should/would it be? Like I said, it's very personal. Anyways, just wanted to throw that out there. 
That being said, I do not judge anyone for sharing their news "early"! This is such an exciting time and I completely understand wanting everyone to join in on the excitement. 

When we found out:
Crazy enough, I took the test on the day of our 11 year date-iversary! Which was October 21st. I was about 7 days late, but this wasn't unusual for me since getting off of the pill 4 months earlier. I had taken a test after being only 2 days late (excited, much? lol) and it came back negative. I shrugged it off, told myself to trust God's timing, went on with my life and forgot about it UNTIL...I went out with my husband and some of our friends. I had a glass of wine and was just NOT feeling it (very unlike me lol). I left the party early, begging Chris to stay and enjoy himself while I went home and snuggled up with the doggos. I give all the credit of the years of listening to my body. I am very in tune with my body and can feel when something is off. 
The next day was our date-iversary and we planned on going to our favorite waterfront restaurant with the COLDEST Blue Moons. As I was getting ready, I said to Chris, "I'm just going to take one more test before we know, just to make sure I'm in the clear for an ice cold Blue Moon and oysters on the half shell". So I took the test, we set a timer for 5 minutes, finished getting ready and that's when we saw the faintest two lines. I looked at Chris, still unconvinced and said, "I've never seen this before!" (I may have taken a few tests in the months leading up to this day 😂). So I took another one, and same result. We went on to our lunch date, and I decided I wouldn't have an ice cold Blue Moon or oysters on the half shell and opted for unsweet tea and some delicious grilled drum. 
When we got home, I decided that I needed to get a test that flat out says "pregnant" or "not pregnant", you know, just to be sure. With the fear of running into someone I knew, which was VERY likely in the town we were living in at the time, I grabbed some other random items to cover the test and opted for self-checkout LOL I mean, why do they have to make the pregnancy tests all LOOK like pregnancy tests?? I ordered the others I used (in bulk, don't judge) on Amazon.
I get the test home without anyone seeing me and take it. The word "pregnant" popped up and we were so freaking ecstatic! I kept that pee stick (with the cap on, OK) on my vanity for 2 weeks until we moved. 
The next day, Chris left for Key West for a week to finish his final step in flight training: carrier qualifications. This is what he had been working towards for months and passing meant he finally got those wings of gold and we were moving to Virginia (no pressure, babe! 😉). With the weight of this on his shoulders, I scaled back the pregnancy excitement and focussed on him. As most of y'all probably already know, he passed his carrier qualifications and winged the following week! 
With this came so much excitement and craziness. When he called me to tell me he qualified, I immediately had to start searching for houses in VA, packing up the house and arrange our families coming in for the winging the following week! He received his wings on a Friday, we moved out of our house that Sunday and started the 24-hour drive to VA. Needless to say, it was "go, go, go"! 
At this point (7 weeks) I was feeling pretty normal! I was working out normally, not feeling nauseous and still had my energy. I'll talk more about this (and when it all changed) in my next post about the first trimester!

How we told our parents:
We told our parents the day of Chris's winging and it was the sweetest moment ever. We had everyone over for breakfast, and Chris slipped the news into the blessing 😍   Moms cried, hugs all around and big ole smiles for the rest of the weekend! This is the first girl in 10 years in my family (I have 7 nephews and 1 niece), and the first grandbaby on Chris's side! The dogs wore these adorable bandanas to share the news too :) 

I am so excited to share this amazing journey with you guys. We are over the moon about this baby girl and she is already so, so loved. I can't wait to meet this little one!

Stay tuned for all things first trimester, coming soon! I will talk about my cravings, emotions, and symptoms as well as why I'm choosing a natural birth over medicated. If there is anything else you would like me to talk about, let me know! 

You Might Also Like